Monday 21 November 2011

Pin and Thread Drawing

Projecting through knitting. Pins secured using a pin pusher.
Working light to dark in threads, starting at cream.
Some pins bent, I feel this adds to the overall look and adds movement.
Working with a doubled over length of thread was more striking visually.
Five colours in total. Detail. 
Working on and off the paper.
Another view.
Detail.
Working with the thread was difficult as I wanted a good tension on the thread but found this pulled the pins out of the wall. I found a doubled over length of thread easier to work with as I could hook it on one pin to start without tying knots.

An artist who works and draws with thread is Chiharu Shiota. The thread is dense and must have taken hours, days or even weeks to build up. I like how the thread is obscuring something, and have considered layering thread over my large wall drawing.


Available at: <http://www.chiharu-shiota.com/work08c.html> [Accessed 21 November 2011]

I took part in a similar activity in Birmingham Art gallery, during the lost in lace exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment