Wednesday 5 October 2011

Old photograph - Photoshop

I searched for an online tutorial for creating old looking photos in Photoshop. I found an in-depth one at http://quinnstephens.com/tutorials/oldphoto.html The inspiration for this was a found photograph that I've featured more than once in my visual diary blog. 

I practiced on a photo I took of some clouds, in the hopes it would become less 'twee'

Before

After
In depth tutorial

I used this technique on a scanned cyanotype of my own drawing, rather than toning in tea or coffee.
First step is to desaturate the image.
Change this layer to 'overlay'
Add a Guassian blur of around 1.5-3 pixels
Create a new layer and use Edit>Fill, choosing the 50% grey option. Again, make this an Overlay layer.
Add noise
3% noise, Guassian and Monochromatic
Add another Guassian blur of 1.5 pixels, then add noise again using the same settings
Add a motion blur, 45 degrees and 3 pixels
Flatten the image using Layer>Flatten Image
Add extra toning by creating a new layer, Edit>Fill with colour

Lower the opacity of this layer to create a subtle tone

This technique works fantastically, however I will need to find the perfect tone to match my own photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment